Saturday, January 26, 2008

Newest Mood

So, occasionally I get in certain moods, or phases. I've had many religious phases where I was considering going to Seminary (still a possibility) and I've had the normal teenage phases of being a punk or brat, and there's my permanent nerdy phase :) and all the other moments where I've been really passionate about something.

Right now I'm in a save the world phase, which is another semi-permanent phase because I always want to do stuff to make a difference in the world, but don't always act on things. I donated to two people on kiva.org, a fruit and vegetable seller from Viet Nam and a goods distributor from Tajikistan. Have you donated yet?

My next thing....global warming. I don't know a lot about it, just know things aren't going to be good the way we are headed. There's a website: www.earthhour.org with this global event to have everyone turn off their lights for one hour. March 29th at 8pm (your local time). Last year, on 31 March 2007, 2.2 million people and 2100 Sydney businesses turned off their lights for one hour – Earth Hour. This massive collective effort reduced Sydney’s energy consumption by 10.2% for one hour, which is the equivalent effect of taking 48,000 cars off the road for one hour. I think it's a great, creative idea. Although by trying to make it global and yet having people go by their local time, we won't all be doing it at once, but it will still make a difference.

So that Saturday evening in March I will be turning off my lights and everything else unimportant that takes electricity (yes I mean my computer...oh the horror!) for one whole hour. No tv, no lights, no computer....maybe I'll read by candlelight...or take a nap lol. I'm hoping to get Gretchen in on it too, not sure how she'll feel on the idea. I'll let you know, and you should plan to do it to!

No comments: