Thursday, September 20, 2007

Typhoon Days and Moon Cakes

So, some people are probably wondering if I will miss all the snow days we had in Nebraska. I'm not afraid to admit that some cold, snowy days I wished hard for a snow day, not just because it was snowy and cold but because I just didn't want to go to class or work :D Well, have no fear, because here in Taiwan there is a nice substitute: Typhoon days!

Tuesday turned out to be one of these days. Monday seemed fine, but there was talk of a typhoon coming, nothing to serious, but they did postpone the zoo field trip for the older kids, but no talk of canceling school altogether. Monday's I teach my evening classes and afterwards I take a school bus home. On the bus there was the uncle driving, me, and a student. Uncle was talking to the student about something in Chinese (he doesn't speak much English) and he told her to translate into English. She was nervous and it ended up being "Tomorrow, typhoon. No go Uncle Sam" I clarified that she meant not going to school, I asked if she would be going to school and she said no, and then I got all excited about no school of course. I also tried to explain snow days to her. After she was dropped off, my phone rang and it was Fiona from school making it official that we'd have no school.

I really was very happy about it because I didn't have the best day at all. I had a meeting with some supervisors about a student of mine not behaving the best and I have to come up with a solution to fix this. Plus they sounded like they were criticising me about everything and I just wasn't in the mood to try and defend myself or deal with it. Then, on the way to Joy I ended up getting lost and being an hour late. So, overall, it was a horrible day and the first time I was really upset. So a day off was very welcomed. Although I ended up being incredibly lazy (is there any other way to be on a typhoon/snow day?), and I didn't have Internet because of the weather.

But it really wasn't that bad, the typhoon brushed over us killing one person and went on to China killing 5 people there. They call it Typhoon Wipha, a woman's name in Thai. They were saying it was going to be a super-typhoon originally, but after it landed in Shanghai it was downgraded to a tropical storm, so no biggie!
This Monday and Tuesday I don't have to work again (I'm just so lucky!). It is the Moon Festival or Mid-Autumn Festival, officially on Tuesday, but we're getting Monday too to have a long weekend. The moon cake is a food created for the festival. I received a box of moon cake things from work. The cake is usually small and different ones are filled with different things like red bean (not my favorite) and pineapple (pretty good). The apartment building is having a party on the 24th that I think I'll go to, just to see. I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Hope the moon festival will bring you happiness!

(I'm keeping the box, it's cool! Yes Dad, it's coming home with me, stop shaking your head, I don't care! :P )

No comments: