Friday, November 21, 2008

The Grocery Experience

IMG_0753

I don't enjoy buying eggs in Taiwan.  Not that I don't like eggs or don't use them, because I do.  Grocery shopping in Taiwan is just very different than in America, for me at least, it involves more strategic planning.  Buying eggs in America, or anything really, is easy: find what you want, pay for it, put it in your car, and drive home.  The main difference I have between the two countries is the car, or lack thereof here in Taiwan.  In America I would have no problem buying a large quantity of groceries to fit in my trunk or backseat to take home.  Shopping in Taiwan depends on how much I can (or am willing to) carry on the walk home.  I usually pick the day ahead of time, usually the last day I think I can survive without food (and when I actually have time).  Don't worry Mom, I eat everyday, just not always the healthiest or "home-cooked".  I empty my bookbag except for my wallet and extra bags.  Grocery bags cost 1-2NT so I try to reuse what I have.  Then I start off on the 10-minute walk, if it's raining I take a bus.  Then I start my shopping.  Milk, juice and other larger/heavy items will be passed over if I have no food at all.  And eggs are purchased if I have a light load.  Fruits and vegetables are most commonly found in my basket, along with bread, peanut butter, frozen dumplings, and maybe some crackers.  Most of these items can handle being piled into my bookbag.  One thing I can say is I'm an excellent bagger now.  The cashier will shove everything into one large grocery bag, so I don't have to pay for two, then I'll take it to a table by the exit and repack it - I've got a system now :) Just another habit I've picked up living in Taiwan!

No comments: