Saturday, November 22, 2008

Myths and Realities

I was doing some research on teaching abroad and found a website with things people assume about teaching and the truth about it, I enjoyed reading it because it was very true to what I experience.

Myth: Teaching is glamorous.  You can travel everywhere you want.

Reality:  Hours can be crazy, you might be working 6 days/week, split shifts and the only time you can prepare for your classes is on your own time (unpaid, naturally).  Often there is very little time to travel and see the countryside.  When you do get a day off you are so tired, you sleep.

Myth: Teaching is easy, anyone can do it.  You just speak English and chat with your students.

Reality: Teaching is hard work; there are lessons to prepare and tests to write and grade.  Often students have a good command of English grammar and you must anticipate questions that might arise out of the lesson.  It is necessary to continually reflect upon your teaching abilities in order to become a better teacher.

Myth: It is not a “real” job.  This is just something you do until you grow up.

Reality:  For many people, teaching English abroad is a job they do for only a year or two.  However, others have made this into a career and as such treat this job professionally.  We make “real” money and put “real” food down on the table to support our families.

Myth:  You can get rich.

Reality:  I would say there are few jobs that I would consider high paying, especially when you compare what teachers and students drive (or ride on) to school.  There are a few countries where salaries are quite high, but those are rare in the big scheme of things globally and these jobs usually require a masters degree or higher. 
       However, teachers can live quite comfortably as the cost of living can be very low.  It is only when you convert the salary back to your home country that you realize how limited your savings can be.

Myth:  After a year or two of teaching abroad, my experiences will help me find a job when I return home.

Reality:  Unfortunately this is false as most employers couldn't care less about what you did and will assume you were living it up while you were “on holidays”.  Even friends and family will grow tired of hearing about your experiences.  As a result, many people go back overseas to teach as they miss their more carefree lifestyle.

The last one kind of surprised me, but I don't think my family will get tired of hearing me talk about stuff...at least I hope not :P

No comments: