Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bamboo Juice

I know it's been way to long since I've blogged and I'm promise there will be many many blogs going up because I have many things to talk about.  But this particular moment I will take to talk about food.

Yesterday I had to take the school bus to Joy and it was with the Uncle (that's what we call all the drivers) who likes to buy food and stuff for me and T. Yvonne.  Yesterday during the drive, he pulled over, rolled down the passenger window and yelled out to a guy at his cart to buy bottles of ugly yellowish green liquid.  He bought three and then gave one to me, one to Yvonne and one for himself.  I was pretty sure right away that it was bamboo juice, I'd seen it before but never tried it.  I don't like to eat bamboo and drinking it wasn't much better, but Yvonne said it's good for the throat and mine's been hurting so I drank it anyways, although it was more tolerable than I had expected. 

I remember when I was thinking about mom, dad, and Megan coming I thought a lot about what foods they would have to try: milk bubble tea, dumplings, stinky tofu, squid on a stick, numerous teas, sushi, fish balls, fruit ice, etc.  And now that my year here is coming close to it's end I think about the foods I love that will be difficult to make or purchase when I get home.  Today my lunch consisted of chicken nuggets cooked in my toaster oven and frozen dumplings I fried in a pan on the stove (and received many oil burns in the process as usual).  I will miss my dumplings, but I'm hoping to find a way to get some of my Taiwan comfort foods in America, just like I have found ways to get USA comfort foods here (I have become pretty good at making my own mashed potatoes)!

No comments: