Friday, June 27, 2008

My Asian Haircut

I decided to chop all my hair off again.  It's always so cute in this country when it's short.  I think the humidity and water makes a big difference, plus a lot of people stare and complement on it since they never see curl like this.  I sort of forgot about the whole haircut ritual here.  It wasn't actually that expensive considering everything they did. 

For about $25 I got there at 12:30 and started off with a neck and shoulder massage.  My first massage ever (in any country) and very painful, I have extremely sensitive skin so I was cringing, but after the stressful/emotion week of a lot of overtime and Gretchen leaving I kept telling myself I needed it.  Then I was taken behind a wall to sinks where I was put in a massage chair and the girl shampooed and conditioned my hair, during that time giving me a head massage.  She put something else in my hair too, but I don't know what it was exactly. 

After the massages were finished, another girl came, she was the one actually going to cut my hair.  After Angela helped me explain I wanted it all chopped off, she started looking and found the little curls at the nape of my neck and preceded to say "so cute" (in Chinese) about 5 or 6 times during the actual hair cut process.  Also during this time, 4 girls that I'm pretty sure worked there would stop near me and watch her cut my hair.  It was a very interesting experience.  After the cut was finished, they rinsed my hair out, styled it and dried it.  Full service!!

IMG_0494

My camera woman and translator, Angela!

IMG_0477

The before shot.

 

IMG_0478

The picture I brought in to give the hairdresser and idea of what I wanted.  She was worried I wanted the same curls, Kari Russell has bigger curls, but I said not to worry, the more you cut the curlier it'll get!

IMG_0488

Cutting it off!

IMG_0495

Halfway finished, the back is so short I love it

 

IMG_0497

We made a mess!

 

IMG_0502

Finished and stylin!

No comments: