Saturday, September 20, 2008

Memories


Newspaper clippings related to Taiwan and/or Middle America
62

Letters, notes, or cards
44
(plus some that probably got thrown out on accident)

Staying connected to what's going on back home, especially with my family
Priceless

Every week my grandmother writes me a letter and includes any clippings she finds when she reads the paper. I look forward to her letters every week, it's probably the only reason I check my mailbox (except for bills, but that's not fun!). I love getting mail, and I think she knows that. Despite the fact that I'm horrible at responding, she continues to write me. She did this 5 years ago too, the first time I lived in Taiwan, and I knew she'd do it again when I decided to return to Taiwan to teach. I can't seem to throw them away, they live in a box with other cards I've recieved, ticket stubs and random memories I've collected in Taiwan so far. And this box will continue to grow over the next 12 months. Life would be no fun without memories and without grandmothers who send weekly letters to Taiwan with the Nebraska weather report! Priceless!
(5 minutes after this was posted I found 2 more letters and 3 more clippings :)

No comments: