Friday, April 25, 2008

Bags aren't cheap

Occasionally I'm able to read the Wayne Stater online, I was very pleased they finally got full papers available online, good way to keep me updated.  It was interesting to read an article, "Hopeful extinction of the 'urban tumbleweed'" talking about Pac N Save offering "green bags" that people are supposed to reuse so they don't have to keep getting paper or plastic bags just to waste.  I always found it to be an interesting concept.  Here in Taiwan, bags are usually not free.  At grocery stores and convenience stores, bags usually cost 1-3NT (about 0.03-0.10USD), which doesn't seem like much, so I usually pay it.  You usually have to specifically ask for a bag, but a lot of times people bring their own bags with them to the stores.  I have gotten in the habit of taking my bookbag and an extra bag when grocery shopping.  Although we do have a collection of plastic bags in our home, they do get reused, a good habit I think everyone should have.  Another habit I will hopefully bring home with me.

No comments: