Friday, April 25, 2008

Crying on the job.....?

I'm fairly certain I have the flu, I've been home since 1:30 and it's Friday, I didn't go into work at all yesterday and I left a half hour early on Wednesday. It's not fun, I'm never eating Doritos again (don't ask), and I know the details of my bathroom very well. I tried really hard to make it through the whole day today, but I couldn't do it, and when I asked to leave I had to fill out a request form and when I went to give it to someone they were discussing who was going to fill in which classes. Now, one thing to know is when Chinese people discuss things, they sometimes get very loud, almost like arguing even though they're not. I walked into this, in my sick, I'm going to faint or puke, emotional state, and started to feel really really bad for causing such a hard time, and I started to cry. Thursday I stayed home sick and found out another foreign teacher did too, plus one other teacher's contract was up last week, so he's gone and Gretchen is in Australia for the week, so we are very very short staffed, so Thursday I cried to my mom about it. I'm very emotional, I get it from my mother (sorry Mom) and this is the second time I've cried at this job.

The first time was when I was being critiqued over my teaching and I had a huge migraine. The problem is I'm more critical of myself than anyone else, combined with being told everything I'm doing wrong and my head pounding for everyone to shut up, it was really bad. Then when I started crying they started the "don't take it personal" speech, when really, it is personal. At least for me, my job has always been personal. I love teaching, I love these kids, the idea of leaving all my "babies" in 2 months is enough to make me cry.

My only concern is if my crying at work makes me appear to be sad and pathetic, or just emotionally involved. And if it's a good or bad thing. Talking to mom, she explained that she was glad I appear so concerned about being sick and missing work, and actually caring. Which helped to hear, and reminded me of one thing my dad said to me once that I'll never forget "I'd rather you care too much than not enough" So I hope when I get way to emotional, people realize I'm not crazy and unstable, and just that I try my hardest to do my best.

No comments: