Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Films

I have a new obsession, actually it's an old obsession revisited. When I was a freshman in college I lived in the dorms. Our cable was not the same as the towns so we got some different channels. I was always watching the Sundance Channel because it was made up of independent films, including foreign films. I remember this one French film about a kid taking the subway a lot, and I watched it for my French class, but also because I wanted to. I've been hooked ever since, plus, I don't mind reading subtitles (I'm used to it from Taiwan lol). Then I had regular cable the next few years and sort of forget about my interest in foreign films...small town so the movie galleries don't really carry the stuff I wanna watch.

Now that I'm back at my parents and the fact that they're addicted to regular television enough that they have satellite, (thank you Desperate Housewives and Food Network) I have IFC, the Indepent Film Channel, and I've been watching it for two days straight! I love it! I don't know why I enjoy these films compared to "Hollywood" ones. Maybe the fact that most are low-budget so it looks like someone actually put thought into them rather than millions of dollars of special effects. Some of them actually have big name actors, but most are in foreign languages with foreign actors. I think it's because since they aren't all fancy-schmancy with effects and promotion and big names, you actually get the point, the moral, the idea behind it. They make you think....not that regular movies don't make me think, but they're more showy.

I watched a movie about this woman who's son is killed in a car accident and she travels to a place she hasn't been for 20 years to tell the father, but while she's looking for him, other people she meets along the way help her get her life back together after her son, and inadvertantly helps them in their own struggles. And it was all in Spanish. It's life, so I like it. It's not big chase scenes, wizards, pirates, large pyro techniques, or cartoons. I like stuff I can relate too....not that I don't like all the glamour sometimes too :D But I do have a whole schedule now of IFC movies that I just HAVE to watch, or at least DVR and watch later....haha, thank you technology!

Plus I don't know what channels will be on my TV when I get to Taiwan, but I already love the Chinese films and since those are "foreign" to me, an American, pretty much every channel there will be like IFC.....except HBO :D

No comments: