Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Phone calls....and choices made.

Yesterday I was complaining about hanging out with people who's cell phone rings constantly....distracting from the whole "hanging out" theory altogether. But tonight while watching a movie with my mother, my cell phone rang...something that rarely happens, especially 11:30 at night. Who would be calling me?? Nobody ever calls me. I look at it: Unknown, I really hate that because then I don't know who to expect. I answer, and to my great surprise it's Mitch, the guy who runs Reach To Teach, the program that's helping me get to Taiwan. I had never spoken to him on the phone before, only through constant e-mails, so it was awesome to finally talk to him. He was just calling to check up on things. He apologized profusely for calling this late although it's tomorrow morning where he's at! We chatted a little bit, I told him I got my passport and visa in the mail yesterday and that things were falling into place despite my laziness.

We then started talking about schools, he's e-mailed me two offers and I hadn't really made a final decision yet. One school, Kojen, has the perfect locations because they are right in the city, but it is a chain school and I didn't really want the possibility of a stuck-up, professional, chain school right away and it is just a language school so I would be teaching a wide range of students from little to adult. The other school, Uncle Sam American School (USAS) is a private school run by a couple, so it has more of a welcoming, homey feeling and I would be teaching kindergarden/preschool children, most likely the same children everyday. I would also teach regular subjects like math and science including english, all taught in english. The one downside to this school is that it is outside the city. About 45 minutes according to what I can find. It's kind of like a suburb I think and very rural. After more research though and talking to Mitch I decided on USAS! I choose a school!! I don't think it will be that difficult to get into the city, especially since my weekends will be pretty free. And I think considering the small town I'm from, starting out in more of a rural area might be better for me anyways. So I'm happy with my choice, it just puts me closer to being there and I'm ready. I get hesitant at times and worry a bit, but overall I'm ready. This is what I want and I can't wait for it to happen!

Plus showing the schools website to mom, with some pictures:



Even if I'm not completely pleased with the location, faces like those can keep me smiling all day every day!!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I think you made a good choice. Little kids will be so much fun! And if this school is more "homey" that'll be nice too! I'm so excited for you!! It will definately be a whole new experience for you and a good one.....You're starting a new path for yourself and I think it'll be better than you think! Love you lot and lots and lots and lots!